7.25.2008

Restaurant of the Week

I have worked across from the new W Hotel since it was more than just a letter, and I was as excited to try the restaurant as I was to walk back and forth (and back and forth) in from the of the interactive digital wall at the entrance. Spice Market, the restaurant on the second floor of the über-chic hotel, provided me a meal that was as attractive and tasteful as the décor. I joined some friends (both old and new) for dinner at Spice Market on Wednesday, and sat down to a magical wine glass that never seemed to be empty. We started with what I assume was everything on the menu - Shrimp Tod Mon Pla, Chili-rubbed Beef Skewers and - my favorite - Spiced Chicken Samosas (pictured, center left). If you haven't had a samosa, this might be the place to break the streak.

Our salad was a salad (though it wasn't bad) - bring on the meat! I'll start with my favorite - Char grilled Chicken with Kumquat Lemongrass dressing. I joked on the radio today that I thought they were funny tasting tomatoes, but after your waiter pours the wine like mine, you might mistake them yourself. Anything cooked with kumquats has a special place on my list. This was delicious and just tart enough. We also tasted the Red Curried Duck. Curries are different based on the region, and you can find more information about them here. All you need to know was this one was good. I had to avoid the pea side dish because of my allergies, but the ginger friend rice was a nice substitution.

I wish I could say I passed on dessert, but I didn't. I even took home some of the cookies for the next day to help me enjoy cleaning. I was pleasantly surprised that Ovaltine could be combined with bananas and spiced milk chocolate. I believe my sentiments were best summed up by, "More Ovaltine, please!" The Thai Jewels and Fruit (pictured, right, bottom) was interesting and not to miss. It is crushed coconut ice, mango, passion fruit and palm seed.

Spice Market is the perfect spot for a date - the atmosphere, service and food are all top notch. You will need to plan ahead if you are on a budget, but it is worth the spend.

With Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten's permission, I share these recipes here. Notice my favorite, Char grilled Chicken with Kumquat Lemongrass, is there. Enjoy!

Spice Market
188 14th Street (in the W Hotel)
404.549.5450
www.spicemarketatlanta.com